Dear Friends & Members:
Question: Why is TxDOT in such a rush to obligate all $1.2 billion of the stimulus funds for Texas transportation by THIS THURSDAY?
Answer: $700 million of the package is dedicated to toll roads.
What's more, 1/4 of the transportation stimulus -- if TxDOT has its way -- will be for one project, the Grand Parkway in Houston -- a road to feed a new speculative development!
Note: TxDOT actually has 120 days to commit the first 50% of these funds, then another full 12 months for the remainder.
So what's the big rush? Well, you know...it's that rogue agency again -- TxDOT (and Rick Perry behind them). Need we say more?
IT IS URGENT THAT YOU CALL YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS MONDAY==Texas Independence Day!
IT IS URGENT (if you can) THAT YOU COME TO AUSTIN TO TURF'S LOBBY DAY --
join us on the South Steps of the Capital at 9:30 a.m.
Here's where you can find your legislators: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/
TALKING POINTS (or you can make this in to your letter -- but personalize it please)
* FIX IT FIRST! No stimulus funds for toll roads! Stimulus funds for transportation should be used for where people are now, rather than new speculative developments like the Grand Parkway in Houston.
* No Trans-Texas Corridor -- really. Protect the blackland prairie, one of the richest farm soils in the world. Rick Perry changing the name is just more of the same trickery and dishonesty that Texans are fed up with.
* Raise funds for transportation in a fiscally responsible way -- index the gas tax rather than pushing privatized, more expensive and risky toll roads. Allow citizens to vote on toll roads for their area. Protect our pension funds -- do not invest them in risky privatized toll roads.
* Real eminent domain reform to protect Texans' property rights.
* Stop the plan for mandatory tagging of farm animals which favors big AG, rather than independent farms.
member of Texas Alliance for Reform
Monday, March 2, 2009
Info from Independent Texans about March 3 Lobby Day
Here's a good explanation of TURF's Lobby Day from Linda Curtis, Independent Texans. Linda includes brief talking points for people to use in visiting legislators in person, or if you can't get there in person, use these talking points in letters (best), emails, or calls to your legislators.